Three journalists and their editors have been summoned by the High Court over reportage in the murder case of Monica Kimani.

According to reports, the three are said to have breached court reporting guidelines in the murder trial of television journalist Jackie Maribe and her ex-fiancé Joseph Irungu.

The journalists are required to appear before Justice James Wakiaga on Wednesday.

This comes as the State applied to have the press barred from covering the trial of Maribe and Jowie which is set to begin on Tuesday.

TV anchor Jackie Maribe and Joseph Irungu in court
TV anchor Jackie Maribe and Joseph Irungu in court

Media on the spot

Prosecutor Catherine Mwaniki, told the court last year that two local newspapers reportage could jeopardize the prosecution’s case.

The state argued that a protected witness would be among the first expected to testify in court.

In October 2018, a stern warning was issued to the Press by Justice James Wakiaga who indicated that any media outlet found to be giving misleading information about the case will be held accountable.

The prosecution has said that it intends to call 32 witnesses to testify against the Citizen TV journalist and her fiancé Irungu.

TV anchor Jackie Maribe and Joseph Irungu in court
TV anchor Jackie Maribe and Joseph Irungu in court

Witness protection

Mwaniki said four of the witnesses are protected while five will be expert witnesses.

Maribe was freed on bond while Irungu is still in custody after two failed bail applications.

Justice Wakiaga had ordered for a pre-bail report and instructed that all witnesses placed under witness protection program testify first before the court can consider Jowie’s bail application.