- But the retailer didn't build up that reputation overnight.
- Costco is a massive global operation, with locations, employees, and members all over the world.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories .
Costco is commonly labeled as a retailer with a cult-like following.
But the company is far from a sleepeer hit with consumers.
Since launching in 1983, Costco has expanded to become a global powerhouse in the retail business.
The company's 2018 10-K form filed with the SEC provides plenty of hard facts demonstrating Costco's mind-boggling scale.
Here are a few mind-blowing facts about Costco:
As of September 2, 2018, Costco ran 762 warehouses around the world ...
Paul Sakuma/AP Photo
... and boasted locations in 11 countries.
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
Costco assigns special significance to its US and Canadian operations, revealing that those two regions "comprised 87% and 83% of net sales and operating income in 2018."
When it comes to overall financial significance, California is king in Costco's eyes. The retailer reported that its California operations generated 30% of its US net sales in 2018.
Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images
The average Costco sprawls across 145,000 square feet, although the retailer estimates that its newer warehouses are "slightly larger."
Michele Eve Sandberg/AFP/Getty Images
All together, Costco offered shoppers "110.7 million square feet of operating floor space" around the globe in fiscal 2018 ...
Paul Sakuma/AP Photo
... including 77.5 million square feet in the US ...
... and 13.9 million in Canada.
Costco also ran 567 gas stations around the world by the close of 2018.
AP Photo/Chuck Burton
When it comes to member satisfaction, Costco US boasts a 90% membership renewal rate, while Canada's rate held at 88% in 2018.
Rick Bowmer/AP Photos
In 2018, Costco employed a labor force of 245,000 full-time and part-time workers.
Paul Sakuma/AP Images
CEO and president Craig Jelinek helms Costco. While he was first appointed CEO in 2012, Jelinek has worked as an executive officer at the company since 1995.
Susan Walsh/AP Images
- 13 international chains that should bring their mouthwatering fast food to the US
- This supersize Krispy Kreme is expected to be the busiest in the world here's what it looks like
- How Revolve used a massive network of influencers and celebrities to become a fashion giant