- The President of the United States has just confirmed the death of Hamza bin Laden.
- In July, The New York Times reported Hamza bin Laden's death, however it was not confirmed.
- Hamza bin Laden, the son of Osama bin Laden, was reportedly being groomed for a leadership position in a resurgent al-Qaida.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories .
President Donald Trump has just confirmed that Hamza bin Laden, the son of al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden, is dead.
The White House released a statement from the president on September 14, 2019, confirming that Hamza bin Laden was "killed in a US counterterrorism operation in the Afghanistan-Pakistan region."
Hamza bin Laden's death was first reported in July . However, while US officials told The New York Times that the US played a role in his death, details on that role were unclear and neither President Trump nor al-Qaida confirmed the news.
Al-Qaidia a terrorist group that declared war against the United States in 1996 was founded by Hamza bin Laden's father, Osama bin Laden. As Business Insider previously reported , it is believed that Hamza bin Laden was being groomed for a leadership position in a resurgent al-Qaida, and traveled to Afghanistan to "avenge" his father who was killed in 2011 by members of SEAL Team Six.
On August 14, 2015, Hamza bin Laden was announced as a member of the al-Qaida by leader Ayman al-Zawahiri and in February of 2019, The US State Department posted a reward of up to $1 million for information about him.
However, according to a report in July by The New York Times , Hamza bin Laden, though unconfirmed at the time, was killed in the past two years and was already dead by the time the State Department offered the reward.
- A day in the life of a 34-year-old early retiree who lives in NYC, grew his net worth to $1.25 million in just 5 years, and wakes up at 7:30 a.m.
- Betsey Johnson just listed her pink mobile home for $1.95 million, and it's located in one of the country's most exclusive trailer parks here's a look inside
- Kanye West just bought a $14 million Wyoming ranch. Take a look at the massive property that comes with a saloon, an events venue, and a shooting range.