The Public Service Commission (PSC) has suspended the directive that required civil servants to declare their wealth in the wake of a corruption clampdown.
In a memo dated August 16, PSC vice chairman Peter ole Nkuraiyia said the move was informed by feedback from State workers and government agencies that needed clarity on the filling of the assets registry.
The exercise required the officers to fill in wealth declaration forms stating specific disclosures, including contracts for goods and services, any consultancies, sponsorship by firms, including overseas trips, and plans for future employment.
“The exercise was intended to facilitate management of conflict of interest in the public service," Mr Nkaruiyia said in the memo.
The suspension will, however, not affect the ongoing vetting of public procurement and accounting officers who were asked in June to step down and allow scrutiny of their personal wealth and service record.
President Kenyatta had on June 1 ordered heads of procurement departments in all ministries and parastatals to proceed on compulsory leave to allow for a thorough lifestyle audit.
Earlier this week, 400 senior officials, heading procurement departments and accounting units, were cleared in the initial phase of the vetting process.