- The 72nd annual Cannes Film Festival began this week.
- The Cannes Film Festival attracts Hollywood's elite and is known for stunning red carpet moments and wild nightlife.
- Cannes is also known for its expenses, from $2 million-plus in security to $1 million outfits.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The 72nd annual Cannes Film Festival began earlier this week.
With a reputation for glamour and glitz, the prestigious film festival attracts some of Hollywood's most notable players for 12 days every May. According to Alissa Wilkinson of Vox, Cannes creates its exclusive status by showing a limited number of films, offering awards by well-known juries, and maintaining the world's largest film market.
It's also an industry-only festival, meaning there aren't tickets for the general public, which only adds to Cannes' allure. Credentials are granted to those in the film industry after they apply and get accepted, Vox said.
Among Cannes' staples are star-studded red carpet moments, lavish events, and high-end budgets. At Cannes, you can't celebrate a new film or film deal without dropping a bit of money think parties on $200 million yachts, $1 million outfits, and more than $2 million in security for the stars.
Here's a look at the money behind one of the biggest events for Hollywood's elite from three different perspectives: hosting an event; attending as a celebrity; and promoting a film as a production house.
- 2 tons of lobster, 8,000 fresh roses, and 18,000 bottles of wine: A Cannes hotel reveals what goes into hosting the glamorous, celeb-filled film festival
- Four Seasons has a new private jet that will take wealthy passengers on 3-week trips around the world for $147,000 take a look inside
- A new cruise with $175,000 ocean-view suites will begin voyages to all seven continents in 2021 here's an inside look at the luxury ship